We are calling for volunteers (CCHI-certified interpreters) to participate in two test development projects:
- Creating the ETOE™ exam* (between October 15 – December 30, 2022)
- Updating the content for the CHI™-Spanish exam (between October 15, 2022 – January 2023)
The work will take place in October 2022-Janurary 2023 via Zoom (see details of each project below). Please fill out the application linked below and submit it by October 7, 2022.
CCHI will provide all the necessary orientation and training via online collaboration tools. All tasks will also be performed remotely via video conference calls and other online applications. Please read about the commitment below so that you understand the scope of work.
Who should apply?
Our goal is to convene three diverse panels of SMEs, certified CoreCHI™ and CHI™ interpreters, who represent healthcare interpreters in the U.S. in a comprehensive manner. We are looking for volunteers – practicing interpreters who have CoreCHI™ or CHI™ certification (this requirement is mandatory) – who:
- represent different regional varieties of their LOTE (Language Other Than English)
- may also be managers (with previous practicing interpreter experience)
- are not trainers of introductory interpreter courses (but may be trainers of continuing education courses)
For the ETOE™ exam development: we are looking for either CoreCHI or CHI certificants of various languages (in the application, mark “Other project” and enter “ETOE exam”).
For the CHI-Spanish exam development: we are looking for CHI-Spanish certificants speaking various regional variants of Spanish (in the application, mark “CHI test development”).
If you already submitted an SME application in 2021-22, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us which project you are interested in. We may waive the requirement to submit an application again.
What are your commitments (if selected)?
- Sign CCHI’s Confidentiality and Content Security Agreements (Review our SME Participation Policies prior to applying.)
- Live participation in 5-8 two-hour meetings and several hours of independent work (depending on the project)
1. Be able to complete a self-paced online orientation module in October, 2022, which would require approximately 2-4 hours of time.
2. Be available for the 5-8 (five to eight) Zoom video conference meetings, of 2-hour duration each, either on Friday evenings (8-10 pm Eastern Time, adjust for your time zone) OR Saturday mornings (10:30 am – 12:30 pm ET), based on the majority’s availability.
3. Be available for independent remote assignments between the meetings.
Please apply only if you are available either on Friday evenings or Saturday mornings.
This is a volunteer project. CCHI will not pay any honorarium for participation in this project. However, CCHI will grant 4 PB (performance-based) CE instructional and 2 CE non-instructional hours for participation, and issue a voucher of $150 value that can be applied towards the certification renewal fee.
How to apply?
Click here to download CCHI’s SME Application in MS Word format.
Please fill it out completely (mark the Position according to the project you are interested in), and to submit, email the application AND your current full resume to email@example.com by 10/07/22. Only electronically submitted, complete applications will be considered.
If you have any questions about this project or about the SME application, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You will be notified as to whether you have been selected to participate in this project by October 14, 2022.
Thank you for your interest and support!
* This is an oral performance exam that will assess core interpreting skills in English. The ETOE™ exam will be a requirement for the new credential CoreCHI-Performance that CCHI is launching in 2023.