Due to the reduced testing capacity in connection with the COVID-19 pandemic, CCHI is extending the ETOE Study until November 3, 2020. We are seeking about 100 Spanish, Arabic and Mandarin interpreters, who are eligible for the CHI™ certification, to participate in the EtoE Research Study as a volunteer in July – November 2020.
Participation in the EtoE Research Study is voluntary and does not confer any special rights or exemptions beyond the benefits described below.
All study participants must comply with all CCHI’s policies (http://cchicertification.org/about-us/policies/).
CCHI selects participants at its own discretion. CCHI reserves the right to end registration at any time at its sole discretion.
Who qualifies to participate:
Spanish, Arabic and Mandarin interpreters who meet ALL of the following criteria:
- have received approval for their CCHI application but have not yet taken the the CHI™ oral performance exam
- are willing to take both skills performance exams –
- the CHI™ certification exam and
- the ETOE™ Interpreting Skills exam in English
- are able to complete both exams on one testing date between July 15 and November 3, 2020.
What are the benefits of participating:
- Help advance the profession by providing critical data that will allow CCHI to definitively determine if it is possible to test fundamental interpreting skills in an English-only format. If the study determines that this is possible, then CCHI will be able to offer a valid and reliable performance-based oral test for interpreters of all languages without delay. This is especially significant for interpreters of languages of lesser diffusion for whom it will not be feasible to develop a language-specific interpreting exam within the foreseeable future.
- $100 off the CHI™ exam fee. The cost of the exam becomes $175 instead of the regular $275. (Those who have already paid the full fee will receive a $100 check within two weeks of taking the ETOE™ exam.)
- The opportunity to take the CHI™ exam first, before the CoreCHI™ exam. The certification will still be granted only after passing both exams, but the order of taking the exams is switched. This allows candidates to get the “hardest” step (in some candidates’ opinion) of the certification process out of the way first. An added bonus is that in case a candidate does not pass the exam, they may “pause” their process at an earlier step, thus, saving the cost of the CoreCHI exam ($175).
What you need to do to register and participate:
- Send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate “I want to participate in the EtoE Study” in the subject line. We will reply to your email with detailed instructions on what to do next. Your email indicates your agreement to comply with all CCHI’s policies (available at http://cchicertification.org/about-us/policies/). Be sure to send your email as soon as possible! The opportunity to participate will close as soon as we have recruited 100 volunteers.
- Complete the EtoE Study Questionnaire online. We’ll send you the link with the instructions. Only candidates who complete this Questionnaire will be allowed to schedule.
- Be prepared to schedule your test appointment for about 2.75 hours between July 15-November 3, 2020. The total duration for the appointment includes: 60 min for the CHI exam, 75 min for the ETOE exam, and about 30 min registration time.
Thank you for contributing to the professionalization of the interpreting profession!
To learn more about the ETOE™ exam, read ETOE Exam Guide.